News Release Archive

  The Department of Housing and Consumer Affairs has
  introduced changes to the residential tenancies regulations.
  Housing and Consumer Affairs Minister Eleanor Norrie said,
  "These changes will benefit tenants and landlords. The
  amendments give a clearer description of the rights and
  responsibilities of both landlords and tenants."
  "The changes include a new standard form of lease,
  clarification of the definition of the anniversary date for
  a lease, new provisions for security deposits and a process
  for the landlord to dispose of personal property that has
  been abandoned by a tenant," said Mrs. Norrie.
  The new standard form of lease includes clarification of
  notice to quit periods, rental incentives, and the rights
  and obligations of landlords and tenants. The interest rate
  paid to tenants on security deposits has been set at one per
  cent. The new rate reflects the interest rates currently
  being paid by financial institutions on trust accounts. 
  Under the amended regulations security deposits are to be
  invested in government backed securities, which include
  Treasury Bills and government bonds. They can also be
  deposited or invested with a financial institution that is a
  member of the Canada Deposit Insurance Corporation or the
  Nova Scotia Credit Union Deposit Insurance Corporation. 
  Mrs. Norrie said these amendments benefit tenants by
  maintaining the protection of security deposits held by
  landlords, and benefit landlords by providing them with
  additonal options for holding deposits. 
  Confusion that has occurred in the past about the
  anniversary date of a lease has been eliminated by the
  amendments. Under the new regulations the anniversary date
  for a lease is the date the term of the lease begins, which
  is the date the tenant becomes responsible for the rental
  In the past, disposal of personal property left behind by
  tenants moving out of a rental unit was left to the
  discretion of the landlord. The amended regulations include
  new provisions for dealing with personal property that is
  left in a rental unit when a tenant moves. In situations
  where a tenant leaves personal property in an apartment
  after the tenancy has ended and the tenant has moved out of
  the unit, the landlord is required to prepare an inventory
  of this property. A copy of the inventory is then provided
  to the Department of Housing and Consumer Affairs and is
  also sent by registered mail to the tenant's new address if
  it is known or to the next of kind if this has been
  indicated on the lease. 
  If the personal property is of an estimated value of more
  than $200, after 60 days the landlord can sell this property
  at public auction. 
  Mrs. Norrie reiterated that the new residential tenancies
  regulations should reduce potential disagreements by helping
  both landlords and tenants to understand their rights and
  responsibilities. Copies of the new regulations and new
  standard form of lease are available at any office of the
  Department of Housing and Consumer Affairs. 
  Contact: Laurel Russell 902-424-4988
  jlw                                  Jan. 8, 1996