Forestry Innovation Fund Opens July 31
Applications for the $50-million Forestry Innovation Transition Trust will open Friday, July 31. Applications for the first round will be accepted until Monday, Aug. 31.
The fund was announced in February to continue to advance the transition and development of Nova Scotia’s forestry sector.
The trust may be used by companies, organizations or post-secondary institutions working and researching in the forestry and biological resources sectors. A three-member trustee board will review submissions and make spending decisions. An application guide and forms are online at http://novascotia.ca/forestry-trust/.
The trustees and I are excited to see fresh new and innovative proposals to develop new markets and products that advance ecological forestry and secure the future of the forestry sector in Nova Scotia.
Sandra McKenzie, chair, Forestry Innovation Transition Trust board
- projects may include the development of high-value products and/or new and enhanced business models, processes or services, inclusive economic growth opportunities and new ecological services
- forestry workers may also seek funding to support training or retraining, if other education funding sources have been exhausted
- advice and guidance on proposals will be sought from sector leaders and innovators
- the fund will be available until March 31, 2025, or when the funds have been spent
- trustees are chair Sandra McKenzie, Douglas Hall and David Saxton
Government’s forestry sector support website is at: https://novascotia.ca/forestry-sector-support/
A new vision for the forestry sector, developed by the Forestry Transition Team, is available at https://novascotia.ca/forestry-sector-support/transition.asp