The Province announced today, December 17, additional support for Nova Scotia businesses impacted by the new provincewide public health restrictions.
The Sector Impact Support Program will provide a one-time grant of up to $7,500 to help small business owners in industries such as restaurants, bars, gyms, live performing arts facilities and recreation facilities.
“With the rise in positive cases and the threat of the Omicron variant, we know these public health restrictions are necessary to help keep Nova Scotians safe,” said Premier Tim Houston. “But we also know these restrictions will have a significant impact on many businesses during what would typically be a busy time of year. That’s why we need to support our business sector and position ourselves for recovery as quickly as possible.”
The Sector Impact Support Program will be funded through the Nova Scotia COVID-19 Response Council. It is expected to cost about $10 million depending on participation.
Applications will open in early January. Eligible businesses can receive the following amounts based on November 2021 gross payroll costs:
- payroll costs between $1,000 and $15,000 – grant of $2,500
- payroll costs between $15,001 and $25,000 – grant of $5,000
- payroll costs between $25,001 or more – grant of $7,500.
- the program will be available to: restaurants offering in-person dining service; bars and other licensed drinking establishments; fitness, recreational and leisure facilities including gyms, yoga studios, indoor play areas, arcades, climbing facilities, dance programs and music lessons; boat and walking tours; private museums; rinks and arenas that are not municipally owned; and live performing arts facilities
- businesses must be registered in Nova Scotia as a sole proprietorship, partnership, corporation, society, social enterprise, not-for-profit, charity in business, or other similar organization; have an active CRA Business Number (BN); and have gross revenue of $5 million or less in its most recently completed tax year
- businesses must have had a minimum gross monthly payroll of $1,000 for November 2021 to qualify
- incorporated businesses that operate more than one eligible business establishment under a single corporate entity may claim a rebate for each business establishment
More information on support for businesses can be found at: https://novascotia.ca/coronavirus/support/#support-for-business
Information on provincewide restrictions is available at: https://novascotia.ca/coronavirus/restrictions-and-guidance/