Update on Wildfires, June 6
The Barrington Lake wildfire in Shelburne County is still out of control. In total, there are five active wildfires in the province today, June 6:
Barrington Lake, Shelburne County
- 24,980 hectares (250 square kilometres)
- about 140 firefighters from Department of Natural Resources and Renewables (DNRR) and more than 40 volunteer and municipal firefighters
- air resources include four helicopters and four water bombers from Montana.
Fires in the following areas are under control and DNRR and volunteer/municipal firefighters are patrolling:
- Lake Road, Municipality of the District of Shelburne
- Pubnico, Yarmouth County
- Westwood Hills, Tantallon
- Hammonds Plains.
Up-to-date information on Halifax Regional Municipality (HRM) comfort centres, response efforts and evacuation updates is available at https://www.halifax.ca/ and by following @hfxgov on Twitter.
People are asked to please remain away from all wildfire areas. People are also reminded to only call 911 if their health or safety is threatened and they need immediate help; for non-emergencies in HRM related to the police, people can call 902-490-5016.
- there is a provincewide ban on open fires; the fine has been increased to $25,000 for breaking the burn ban
- restrictions on travel and activities in the woods remain in Shelburne County and anywhere evacuation orders are in place
- people should not operate drones over a forest fire; drones can interfere with the suppression effort and pose a danger to aircraft and first responders
- a wildfire that is held or being held means it is not moving but it is still out of control
- a wildfire that is contained means it is surrounded by either natural breaks (like a road, lake, river) or a dozer line or hose line
Information on school closures and other updates related to the wildfires are available at: https://novascotia.ca/alerts/
Changes to restrictions on travel and activities in the woods: https://novascotia.ca/news/release/?id=20230604005
Burn restrictions: https://novascotia.ca/burnsafe/
News Release - Increased Fine for Breaking Burn Ban: https://novascotia.ca/news/release/?id=20230531004
NOTE: An additional link for evacuation information on Shelburne County fires was added June 6, 2023.