Co-operative Education Incentive
Apply between 15 December 2018 and 31 January 2019 for the Summer 2019 co-op term.
Apply between 15 April and 16 May 2019 for the Fall 2019 co-op term.
Apply between 15 August and 15 September 2019 for the Winter 2020 co-op term.
The Co-op Education Incentive helps employers hire post-secondary co-operative education students for work placements.
Employers can hire a co-op student for a work term of 12-16 weeks. You’ll receive a subsidy of $7.50 an hour for the wages you pay the student. 32 week terms are available in some education programs – please confirm with the Co-op Coordinator at the post-secondary institution.
Program policies and step-by-step instructions for submitting applications are outlined in the Co-op Program guidelines. You can also consult the Co-op Coordinators List to select the University / College that can provide you with a Co-op student that best meets your job requirements.
Organizations can apply for the subsidy if they:
- are private-sector, government-funded, non-profit, or charitable organization, a social enterprise or a municipality
- want to hire a co-operative education student for a work term of 12-16 weeks
- will pay the student at least $15 per hour, plus vacation pay, for 32.5 to 40 hours of work per week
The student you hire must be enrolled in a co-operative education program at a Nova Scotia university or college.
How to apply
If your business is registered in the online Labour Market Programs Support System (LaMPSS), you can apply now.
Before you start
When you apply, you need to:
- provide your organization’s Registry of Joint Stocks number, Canada Revenue Agency charities number, or a copy of legal documentation or legislative act that identifies how assets will be distributed upon dissolution of the organization
- describe your organization and the role you want to fill
If you want to hire co-op students in more than one county, you’ll need to submit a separate application for each county.
If your application is approved, you’ll need to:
- download the Co-op Employer Checklist
- return a signed contract
- provide information about the student you hire, including proof that they’re currently enrolled in a Co-operative Education program at a Nova Scotia university or college and have your student sign a waiver to let us use their information
At the end of the program, you’ll need to:
- provide proof of the wages you paid the student—use the Payroll Record form and send a copy of the student’s Record of Employment
- complete a feedback survey
- have your student complete a feedback survey
Labour and Advanced Education
PO Box 578
Halifax, Nova Scotia, B3J 2S9
Phone: 902 424-6000
Toll Free: 1-800-424-5418
Fax: 902 428-2037
Before you submit
- Co-op Program Guidelines
- Incitatif à la formation par l’enseignement coopératif
- Electronic Funds Transfer (Direct Deposit) Form
During your contract
- Co-op Employer Checklist
- Co-op Student Confirmation Form
- 2018 Fall Co-op Payroll Record
- 2018 Winter Payroll Record
- 2019 Summer Co-op Payroll Record
- 2019 Fall Payroll Record