Co-operative Education Incentive
Apply between 15 August and 15 September 2022 for the Winter 2023 co-op term.
Apply between 15 December 2022 and 16 January 2023 for the Summer 2023 co-op term.
Apply between 15 April and 15 May 2023 for the Fall 2023 co-op term.
The Co-op Education Incentive helps employers hire post-secondary co-operative education students for work placements.
Employers can hire a co-op student for a work term of 12-16 weeks. You’ll receive a subsidy of $7.50 an hour ($9.00 if the student is a member of designated diversity group) for the wages you pay the student. 32 week terms are available in some education programs – please confirm with the Co-op Coordinator at the post-secondary institution.
Program policies and step-by-step instructions for submitting applications are outlined in the Co-op Program guidelines. You can also consult the Co-op Coordinators List to select the University / College that can provide you with a Co-op student that best meets your job requirements.
Co-op terms are available 3 times a year:
- summer term: 1 April to 31 August
- fall term: 1 September to 31 December
- winter term: 1 January to 30 April
Organizations can apply for the subsidy if they:
- are private-sector, government-funded, non-profit, or charitable organization, a social enterprise or a municipality
- want to hire a co-operative education student for a work term of 12-16 weeks
- will pay the student at least $15 per hour, plus vacation pay, for 32.5 to 40 hours of work per week
The student you hire must be enrolled in a work term as part of a co-operative education program at a Nova Scotia university or college.
How to apply
If your business is registered in the online Labour Market Programs Support System (LaMPSS), you can apply now.
Before you start
When you apply, you need to:
- provide your organization’s Registry of Joint Stocks number, Canada Revenue Agency charities number, or a copy of legal documentation or legislative act that identifies how assets will be distributed upon dissolution of the organization
- describe your organization and the role you want to fill
If you want to hire co-op students in more than one county, you’ll need to submit a separate application for each county.
If your application is approved, you’ll need to:
- download the Co-op Employer Checklist
- return a signed contract
- provide information about the student you hire, including proof that they’re currently enrolled in a Co-operative Education program at a Nova Scotia university or college and have your student sign a waiver to let us use their information
At the end of the program, you’ll need to:
- provide proof of the wages you paid the student—use the Payroll Record form and send a copy of the student’s Record of Employment
- complete a feedback survey
- have your student complete a feedback survey
Labour, Skills and Immigration
PO Box 697
Halifax, NS B3J 2T8
Phone: 902 424-6000
Toll Free: 1-800-424-5418
Fax: 902 428-2037
Before you submit
- Co-op Program Guidelines
- Incitatif à la formation par l’enseignement coopératif
- Electronic Funds Transfer (Direct Deposit) Form
- LaMPSS User Guide
During your contract
- Co-op Employer Checklist
- Co-op Student Information Form
- 2022 Winter Payroll Record
- 2022 Summer Payroll Record
- 2022 Fall Payroll Record