Members Named to Accessibility Committee
NOTE: The list of committee members follows this release.
Twenty-two Nova Scotians will help develop the Province’s next accessibility standard as members of the Goods and Services Standard Development Committee.
The committee will assist the Accessibility Advisory Board in preparing recommendations for the Justice Minister. Committee members come from across Nova Scotia and most identify as persons with disabilities.
“This is a significant milestone towards building a province where access includes everyone in everyday life,” said Justice Minister Brad Johns, the Minister responsible for the Accessibility Act. “I want to thank all the individuals who applied to serve on the committee and congratulate them on contributing to our goal of accessibility in Nova Scotia by 2030.”
The Goods and Services Standard Development Committee will develop recommendations to help remove barriers to the delivery of goods and services for people with disabilities. Barriers may include:
- inaccessible customer service
- stereotypes and assumptions about people with disabilities
- policy barriers to delivering and receiving goods and services.
The board is pleased to have another accessibility standard area underway. We know that Nova Scotians with disabilities experience barriers accessing goods and services. This committee will be working hard to recommend how we can prevent and remove these barriers.
Rosalind Penfound, Chair, Accessibility Advisory Board
- Nova Scotia’s Accessibility Act sets a goal of an accessible Nova Scotia by 2030; goods and services is the fourth standard area to begin under the act, following the built environment, education and employment
- the Accessibility Advisory Board reviewed the applications and recommended members to the Minister of Justice
- future standards will address information and communication, and public transportation
- the Province’s accessibility strategy, Access by Design 2030, outlines how the government will achieve its goal of an accessible province by providing people with disabilities equitable access to programs, services, information and infrastructure
Goods and Services Standard Development Committee: https://novascotia.ca/accessibility/goods-services-committee/
ASL release: https://vimeo.com/825578910/6633b6e152?share=copy
Access by Design 2030: https://novascotia.ca/accessibility/access-by-design/
Members of the Goods and Services Standard Development Committee:
- Lisa Snider, Halifax, Chair
- Travis Gunn, Scotsburn, Vice-Chair
- Kimberley Bernard, Halifax
- Colin Campbell, Halifax
- Kimberley Cusack, Bateston
- Natalie d’ Entremont, Lower West Pubnico
- Louise Gillis, Sydney
- Rick Goodman, New Glasgow
- Lui Greco, Eastern Passage
- Jen Green, Halifax
- Janice Hussey, Halifax
- Misty James, Argyle
- Jordan Keddy, Waverley
- Cassie Manuel, Dartmouth
- Jorge Mora, Bedford
- Steven William Murgatroyd, West Hants
- Alex Oragui, Halifax
- Justin Read, Halifax
- Steve Roy, Dartmouth
- John Smith, Bridgetown
- John Turner, Halifax
- Hannah Wood, Halifax