Access by Design 2030: Achieving an Accessible Nova Scotia
Read Access by Design 2030:
- Access by Design 2030: PDF version (PDF 1.9 MB)
- Access by Design 2030: Large print accessible PDF version (PDF 3.3 MB)
- Access by Design 2030: American Sign Language (ASL) video (external link)
- Access by Design 2030: Audio recording (external link)
- Contact the Accessibility Directorate for the document in braille
Standards will be developed in the following areas:
- Built environment
- Goods and services
- Information and communications
The first standards developed will be related to the built environment and education. Work will begin in 2018, with implementation starting by 2022. Standard development committees will be established to assist the Accessibility Advisory Board in making recommendations on the content of these standards. These committees will consist of persons with disabilities, organizations representing persons with disabilities, those affected by the proposed standards, and government entities with responsibilities related to the proposed standards. The public will have the opportunity to provide feedback on the proposed standards.
Development of standards in the remaining areas will begin at a rate one per year, beginning in 2021. The Accessibility Advisory Board will recommend the order in which they are developed.
Accessibility standards will first apply to the Government of Nova Scotia, followed by public sector bodies, and then to other entities (such as the private sector).
Awareness and Capacity Building
Building capacity in accessibility and increasing awareness about the rights of persons with disabilities and barriers to participation.
Collaboration and Support
Collaborating with partners to ensure accessibility and the rights and needs of persons with disabilities are central to policy development and program development and delivery.
Compliance and Enforcement
Monitoring and enforcing compliance with the Accessibility Act and standards.
Monitoring and Evaluation
Implementing processes to evaluate and improve accessibility standards and initiatives.
Government of Nova Scotia Leadership
Demonstrating leadership and becoming a model for accessibility by preventing and removing barriers to accessibility in government programs, services, policies, and infrastructure.
- Access by Design 2030
- Accessibility Act review
- Accessibility Act: compliance overview
- Accessibility Advisory Board
- Accessibility resources
- Government of Nova Scotia Accessibility Plan
- Nova Scotia Post-Secondary Accessibility Framework (PDF)
- Nova Scotia Public Libraries Joint Accessibility Framework (PDF)
- Prevalence of disabilities in Nova Scotia
- Small Business ACCESS-Ability Grant Program
- What We Heard: Accessibility in Nova Scotia