Fiona Agricultural Disaster Assistance Program
Farmers can apply for financial assistance to help cover extraordinary operational costs caused by Hurricane Fiona. The Fiona Agricultural Disaster Assistance Program provides a one-window financial response to help the agriculture industry recover from Hurricane Fiona.
The program provides financial assistance through provincial disaster financial assistance arrangements for small businesses, and any future federal and provincial assistance programs as they’re developed to provide additional support for damage and costs not covered by insurance.
The program’s one-window approach includes the Agricultural Response Program that was announced in October 2022.
Extraordinary damage and operational costs include:
- equipment and infrastructure
- crops and cropping
- livestock and feeds
- agricultural and debris clean-up
- fuel and alternative power expenses
To be eligible, you must:
- be at least 19 years old and actively farming
- have an annual eligible gross commodity income of $10,000
- demonstrate damage or loss which occurred during the Hurricane Fiona disaster between 23 and 24 September 2022
- own or lease the damaged property
- be able to provide a partnership/ownership agreement if requested
- be able to provide tax return and additional information as required (for non-registered farms only)
Read the Program Guidelines (PDF) for detailed eligibility.
Deadline or important dates
Program opening: 24 November 2022
Application deadline: 24 February 2023
How to apply
Complete the intake form and submit it to the Fiona Agriculture Disaster Assistance team.
Once you complete the intake form, the case manager assigned to your file will contact you.
Department of Agriculture
Fiona Agriculture Disaster Assistance
74 Research Dr.
Bible Hill, NS B6L 2R2