Fiona Aquaculture Disaster Assistance Program
Farmers can apply for financial assistance to help cover extraordinary operational costs caused by Hurricane Fiona. The Fiona Aquaculture Disaster Assistance Program provides a one-window financial response to help the aquaculture industry recover from Hurricane Fiona.
The program provides financial assistance through provincial disaster financial assistance arrangements for small businesses, and any future federal and provincial assistance programs as they’re developed to provide additional support for damage and costs not covered by insurance.
Extraordinary damage and operational costs include:
- equipment and infrastructure on land
- equipment in water
- product in water
- stored product on land
- aquaculture and debris clean-up
- fuel and alternative power expenses
To be eligible, you must:
- be at least 19 years old
- demonstrate damage or loss which occurred during the Hurricane Fiona disaster between 23 and 24 September 2022
- have an aquaculture licence with the Department of Fisheries and Aquaculture
- own or lease the damaged property
- be able to provide proof of percent ownership of company if requested
- be able to provide tax return and additional information as required
Read the Program Guidelines (PDF) for detailed eligibility.
Deadline or important dates
Application deadline: 24 February 2023
How to apply
Complete the intake form and submit it to the Fiona Agriculture Disaster Assistance team (your intake information is shared with the Fiona Aquaculture Disaster Assistance team).
Once you complete the intake form, the case manager assigned to your file will contact you.
Department of Agriculture
Fiona Agriculture Disaster Assistance
74 Research Dr.
Bible Hill, NS B6L 2R2