Market Opportunities and Diversification Program
The Market Opportunities and Diversification Program helps producers, processors and industry associations with local and export activities. Activities include:
- product and packaging modification to meet specific market requirements or preferences
- marketing activities to meet changing requirements or emerging opportunities
- the sale of quality agricultural and seafood products, inside and outside of Nova Scotia
- capacity building and other development that helps products and businesses compete in target markets
To be eligible, you must be a farm, Mi'kmaq conducting farming activities in a Mi'kmaw community, agri-business, agriculture industry association or seafood business.
For farms, you need to:
- be currently and properly registered in the correct income category under the Farm Registration Act
- have generated an annual eligible gross commodity income of at least $30,000
- be at least 19 years old and actively farming in the program year
For agri-businesses, you need to:
- represent Nova Scotia agriculture and agri-food products
- have generated an annual eligible agri-business income of at least $30,000
- conduct value-added processing of a raw Nova Scotia agriculture product, with a direct partnership and significant economic impact to Nova Scotia's agricultural industry
For agriculture industry associations, you need to demonstrate non-profit status.
For seafood businesses, you need to:
- be expanding into an international market
- have generated an annual eligible business income of at least $30,000
Refer to the Program Guidelines for detailed eligibility.
Deadline or important dates
Program opening: 5 May 2023
Application deadline: 31 December 2023
Claim deadline: 29 February 2024
How to apply
Complete the Program Application Form (make sure to check the application for details on all required supporting documents). Send your completed application and supporting documents to the Programs Division office.
You also need to complete the Program Funding Registration Form.
Department of Agriculture
74 Research Drive
Bible Hill, NS B6L 2R2
Program Funding Registration Form - Farm Applicants
Program Funding Registration Form - Agri-business Applicants
Program Funding Registration Form - Industry Organization Applicants