Student Summer Skill Incentive (SKILL)
Apply between 16 December 2019 and 31 January 2020.
SKILL helps registered charities and societies offer summer jobs to post-secondary students.
Eligible employers can hire students for terms of 8-14 weeks in the summer. You’ll receive a subsidy of $9.10 per hour ($10.10 if the student is a member of designated diversity group) for the wages you pay to your student employees.
Designated diversity groups are:
- Mi’kmaq or Indigenous
- African Nova Scotians
- Visible minorities (including persons of African descent)
- Persons with disabilities (consisting of a physical, cognitive or mental impairment that presents a persistent barrier to work)
Organizations can apply for the subsidy if they:
- are a not-for-profit organization registered as a charity or active society with the Registry of Joint Stock Companies
- plan to hire a university or college student for 8-14 weeks between April and August
- pay their summer student-employee minimum wage or more (plus vacation pay) for 30 to 35 hours of work per week
- aren’t receiving funding from any other government employment program for the same position
How to apply
If your organization is registered in the online Labour Market Programs Support System (LaMPSS), you can apply now.
Before you start
When you apply, you need to:
- provide your charity number or active Society Act number
- describe your organization and the position you want to fill, including a breakdown of the time employees will spend on different tasks—read the program guidelines for more information
If you want to hire students in more than one county, you’ll need to submit a separate application for each county.
How long it takes
You’ll hear back about your application by March 2019.
Labour and Advanced Education
PO Box 578
Halifax, Nova Scotia, B3J 2S9
Phone: 902 424-6000
Toll Free: 1-800-424-5418
Fax: 902 428-2037
For you information, this catalogue contains previously approved positions listed by county.
- SKILL Guidelines
- SKILL Guidelines (French)
- Employer Checklist
- Co-op Coordinator Contact List (if you intend to hire a co-op student)
- Electronic Funds Transfer (Direct Deposit) Form
- LaMPSS User Guide