Filing a Complaint

You may file your complaint directly with the Office of the Police Complaints Commissioner (OPCC). You may also file a complaint at the police agency or with the local board of police commissioners in the municipality in which the incident occurred.

Your complaint must be filed in writing using our complaint form (PDF). Instructions are included with the complaint form.

Please see the public complaint intake policy for more information.

Complaints filed more than 1 year after an incident will not be processed unless the Commissioner extends the time for filing. The Commissioner may extend the time if satisfied there are good reasons for an extension and it would not be contrary to the public interest.

The OPCC does not handle complaints against members of the RCMP. Please visit the website for the Commission for Public Complaints against the RCMP.

Our online brochure (PDF) provides detailed information on the complaint process. You may also contact us directly with any questions or for assistance filing your complaint by phoning 902-424-3246, emailing us at, or visiting our physical location at 1690 Hollis Street, 3rd Floor.