Children in Care

When a child is unable to remain in the care of their parent or guardian, on a temporary or permanent basis, they may enter the care and custody of The Minister of Community Services or Mi’kmaw Family & Children’s Services. This occurs only after the agency makes every effort to resolve issues within the family. Extensive services are offered to remedy the situation, which may include counselling and family support.

When the risk for the child cannot be managed in the family’s home and the child must come into the care of the Minister, all efforts are made to have the child live with family and community members wherever possible.

Children in care and custody of The Minister of Community Service are supported through maintenance payments for routine care. Additional supports are offered as the child may require, as part of ongoing planning that is responsive to the child’s needs.