Updated Accessibility Plan Charts Three-Year Course
The Government of Nova Scotia Accessibility Plan 2022-25, released today, December 19, builds on progress made since the inaugural plan was issued in 2018.
“Tremendous progress has been made towards the 2030 goal of an accessible province. I am pleased this phase of the accessibility plan further supports Nova Scotia in creating an accessible province that includes and respects everyone,” said Justice Minister Brad Johns, Minister responsible for the Accessibility Act. “This is important work and will benefit all Nova Scotians.”
The Accessibility Directorate, responsible for administering the Accessibility Act and advancing disability issues within government, will continue to focus on advancing the plan and supporting government departments in meeting their commitments.
Goals for 2022 to 2025 include:
- updating priorities to align with provincial accessibility standards
- all government departments engaged in advancing accessibility commitments, with support for public sector bodies to meet legislative requirements
- applying an accessibility lens to government policy
- aligning accessibility commitments with existing equity, diversity and inclusion priorities across government
- setting six government-wide commitments for all government departments to support.
By releasing its 2022-2025 accessibility plan, the Government of Nova Scotia is demonstrating leadership and reinforcing its commitment to creating an accessible Nova Scotia.
Rosalind Penfound, Chair, Nova Scotia’s Accessibility Advisory Board
- the Accessibility Act recognizes accessibility as a human right and provides a framework to prevent and remove barriers to accessibility
- the Accessibility Act requires the government to have an accessibility plan and update its plan every three years
- Nova Scotia has the highest disability rate in Canada -- at 30 per cent, it is eight percentage points higher than the national rate; Nova Scotia also has the oldest population in Canada
The Government of Nova Scotia Accessibility Plan 2022-25: https://novascotia.ca/accessibility/plan/
Access by Design 2030: https://novascotia.ca/accessibility/access-by-design/
Nova Scotia's Accessibility Directorate: https://novascotia.ca/accessibility/