The Government of Nova Scotia’s Accessibility Directorate is responsible for administering the Accessibility Act and advancing disability issues within government.
We work collaboratively with persons with disabilities, municipalities, businesses, post-secondary institutions and others to achieve the goal of an accessible Nova Scotia by 2030.
Toolkits, guides and webinars to help businesses, organizations, municipalities and public sector bodies improve accessibility and comply with the Accessibility Act.
Government will develop accessibility standards in the following areas:
- Built Environment: making public buildings, streets, sidewalks and shared spaces accessible
- Education: making the education system accessible to all students, from early childhood to post-secondary
- Employment: making workplaces accessible and supporting people with disabilities in finding meaningful employment
- Goods and services: making sure that people with disabilities have equitable access to goods and services.
- Information and communication: making sure all people can receive, understand and share the information they need
- Transportation: making it easier for everyone to get where they need to go
Call for members
Right now, there's no call for members.
Standard development committees
The Accessibility Advisory Board establishes committees that help make recommendations for accessibility standards.
Built Environment Standard Development Committee
The Built Environment Standard Development Committee helps the board make recommendations on the content and implementation of an accessibility standard in the built environment.
Education Standard Development Committee
The Education Standard Development Committee helps the board make recommendations on the content and implementation of an accessibility standard in education.
Employment Standard Development Committee
The Employment Standard Development Committee helps the board make recommendations on the content and implementation of an accessibility standard for employment.
Goods and Services Standard Development Committee
The Goods and Services Standard Development Committee helps the board make recommendations on creating and implementing accessibility standards in goods and services.
- Access by Design 2030
- Accessibility Act review
- Accessibility Act: compliance overview
- Accessibility Advisory Board
- Accessibility in Nova Scotia
- Accessibility resources
- Government of Nova Scotia Accessibility Plan
- Nova Scotia Post-Secondary Accessibility Framework (PDF)
- Nova Scotia Public Libraries Joint Accessibility Framework (PDF)
- Small Business ACCESS-Ability Grant Program
- What We Heard: Accessibility in Nova Scotia