Workplace Innovation and Productivity Skills Incentive
An initiative of the Canada - Nova Scotia Job Grant
We are changing the way you apply to the Workplace Innovation and Productivity Skills Incentive (WIPSI).
Effective October 1st, 2017, WIPSI will be administered through the Labour Market Programs Support System (LaMPSS).
LaMPSS is an online system that helps organizations enter into funding agreements with the Province. This will help streamline the WIPSI application process.
After October 1st, you must be registered in LaMPSS to apply to WIPSI. Registering is a one-time process, to view an overview on the process.
If your business is not yet registered in LaMPSS we encourage you to do so before October 1st, 2017.
Download the LaMPSS External Access Overview, the LaMPSS External Access (Registration) Form and the Electronic Funds Transfer (Direct Deposit) Form.
About the Program
The Workplace Innovation and Productivity Skills Incentive (WIPSI) is an incentive designed to encourage employers to invest in training to:
- improve productivity
- increase innovation
- support the introduction of new technology, machinery and equipment, or work processes
- provide employees with transferable skills
- upgrade skills
- increase inter-provincial and international competitiveness
- foster workplace diversity
Funding is available for:
- Training based on a valid business case
- Eligible training expenses
- Owners/employees permanently located in Nova Scotia
Is your organization eligible?
Businesses, industry associations, private sector unions, not-for-profit businesses and revenue generating social enterprises in Nova Scotia, that have been in existence for at least one (1) year and have at least $25,000 in wages or owner drawings (demonstrated in required financial information), are considered eligible employers for this program. Employees must be permanently located in Nova Scotia.
- Stream 1:
- Businesses/Social Enterprises with 50 or fewer employees
- Stream 2:
- Businesses/ Social Enterprises with more than 50 employees
Applicants are required to make a cash contribution of 50% toward the overall cost of training.
- Stream 3:
- Nova Scotia organizations, associations, and private sector unions representing Nova Scotia businesses, industries and sectors (see WIPSI Program Guidelines for details)
Businesses primarily involved in wholesale, retail, and accommodations and food services are not eligible under Streams 1 and 2 but may be eligible for WIPSI funding under Stream 3. (See WIPSI Program Guidelines for details).
What is eligible?
The following activities may be eligible costs under WIPSI:
- purchase of training from a formal training institution or qualified training provider
- registration, tuition or course fees
- examination fees
- international training
- management skills development
- training leading to certification
- training that supports workplace diversity
- other skills development and training based on a valid business case
- other training related costs, such as: manuals, books, and support materials accommodating for disabilities (e.g., voice recognition software)
You also may be entitled for up to 50% of travel cost to attend training. However, training outside of Nova Scotia will not be supported if the training is readily available within Nova Scotia.
Applications must be submitted prior to any commitment to purchase the training. Please note that in order for your application to be considered, you are required to submit a full and complete application along with all required documentation.
See the WIPSI Program Guidelines for further details.
How to Apply
Within the next few week, applications will be required to be submitted in LaMPSS. In advance of this change, it is recommended that organizations register with LaMPSS in order to access the system. If you would like to register with LaMPSS in advance of the transition, you can find detailed information online at: find detailed information online at: http://novascotia.ca/lae/LaMPSS/LaMPSS.asp.
Apply for this program on our Access to Business website:
Labour and Advanced Education
PO Box 578
4th Floor, 2021 Brunswick Street
Halifax, Nova Scotia, B3J 2S9
Phone: 1-844-850-2030 (toll-free)