Workplace Innovation and Productivity Skills Incentive
Applications for the WIPSI program may be submitted by individual businesses or by an organization/association on behalf of a group of businesses.
WIPSI supplements employer contributions to train full-time staff * (permanently located in Nova Scotia) to
- Improve productivity and profitability
- Increase innovation
- Adapt to new technology, machinery and equipment, or work processes
- Increase inter-provincial and international competitiveness; and
- Foster workplace diversity.
* Full-time seasonal employees may be considered.
If you identify a training opportunity that would provide new and/or incremental skills to your workforce which will result in
- A new direction or expansion to your core operations; and
- Business and/or sector growth and profitability, you could be eligible for WIPSI funding.
If you are a small business in Nova Scotia with less than 50 employees, you may be eligible for up to 100% of your training costs to be covered up to $10,000. For larger businesses, WIPSI provides up to 50% of direct training costs.
WIPSI may also cover other expenses such as travel, books for participants and accommodation costs for persons with disabilities.
If you are an organization/association and you apply for WIPSI funding on behalf of member businesses, you may also be eligible for WIPSI to cover administration costs to host the training.
What to Consider Before You Apply
Is your business
- Located in Nova Scotia
- Registered and active in the Nova Scotia Registry of Joint Stock Companies or incorporated by an Act of the Nova Scotia Legislature
- Over one calendar year into operations
- Generating directly or representing businesses (e.g. Sector councils) that have at least thirty percent (30%) of revenues from commercial activity*
- Producing a minimum of $25,000 in wages or owner remuneration
- Not solely generating profit from wholesale, retail, and accommodations and foodservices (e.g. businesses that manufacture and sell products)?
*Exceptions may be made if your sector has a strategic value for NS. This is determined on a case-by-case basis. See WIPSI guidelines for more details on eligible sectors.
Does your organization/association
- Represent businesses that meet the above listed criteria*; and
- Have enough interest from your membership to submit an application for a minimum of a $10,000 WIPSI contribution?
*Organizations/associations representing wholesale, retail, accommodations and food services are eligible to apply for WIPSI funding.
Categories of training that are typically funded through WIPSI include: information technology; training on new equipment; technical training; workflow systems and processes; or other training that will benefit your business or organization and that are not typically funded through other government programs.
There are certain types of training that ARE NOT eligible such as: mandatory training; internal training; conference participation fees; administrative fees for hosting a conference; consulting or coaching services; and training outside of NS that has comparable outcomes to training offered in the Province.
For further information about eligibility for WIPSI and how to apply for funding, please see the WIPSI Program Guidelines for details.
How to Apply
WIPSI is now administered through the Labour Market Programs Support System (LaMPSS).
LaMPSS is an online system that helps organizations enter into funding agreements with the Province. This will help streamline the WIPSI application process.
You must be registered in LaMPSS to apply to WIPSI. Registering is a one-time process, view an overview on the process.To register download the LaMPSS External Access (Registration) Form and the Electronic Funds Transfer (Direct Deposit) Form.
Labour and Advanced Education
1505 Barrington Street., 4N
P.O. Box 697
Halifax Nova Scotia B3J 2T8
Phone: 1-844-850-2030 (toll-free)