Disability Support Program
Standard Household Rate
If you need help with your basic needs, you can get an allowance called a Standard Household Rate. The amount you get depends on the number of people in your family and your living situation.
The Standard Household Rate is for basic needs such as food, clothing, shelter, fuel, utilities, and personal items. You may also get help for any special needs you have. The amount you get is based on your situation.
Standard Household Rate – Rent/Own or Board
If you board, rent, or own your own home, you will receive the Standard Household Rate – Rent/Own or Board as shown in the below table:
|Household Composition||Standard Household Rate (Monthly)|
|1||-||2 or more||$1,013||$668|
|1||1||1 or more||$1,393||$1,049|
*If a spouse is also a DSP participant, the spouse will continue to have their own case and any dependents in the household will be included in only one participant’s Standard Household Rate.
- Jamie is a DSP participant who is single and pays rent to live in an apartment. Jamie will receive the “Rent/Own” Standard Household Rate of $950 a month.
- Morgan is a DSP participant who is single and lives with family in the Flex Living with Family Program. Morgan will receive the “Board” Standard Household Rate of $608 a month.
Standard Household Rate – Essentials
If you are a DSP participant and are not:
- receiving a Standard Household Rate for rent, own or board; and
- not funded for another DSP support option,
And are temporarily in a:
- rehabilitation program, or
You will receive the Standard Household Rate – Essentials.
The amounts in the examples don’t take into account any other supports you may receive, such as Special Needs.
* You may be able to get more help for basic needs if you have dependents between the ages 18 – 20 living with you.
For more information:
To find out more about how Standard Household Rate impacts you, please contact the Department of Community Services at 1-877-424-1177 or call your Care Coordinator directly.