The primary objective of Licensing Services is to protect the health, safety and well-being of Nova Scotians receiving away-from-home care. Licensing activities are designed to reduce the risk of harm to children, youth and adults residing in licensed residential facilities or homes by ensuring compliance with minimum standards.
Licensing Services performs licensing, inspection and compliance enforcement activities for the following programs:
- Disability Support Program (SPD): Licensing of Homes for Special Care
- Child Welfare and Residential Services (CWS): Licensing of Residential Child-Caring Facilities
Licensing Services is responsible for the following:
- Processing applications, ensuring licensing requirements are met and issuing of licenses
- Performing regularly scheduled inspections on-site at each licensed facility
- Carrying out compliance enforcement activities for facilities that are found to be in violation of any applicable Act or Regulation
- Investigating complaints made against licensed and unlicensed facilities
For further information or to register a concern, contact us by phone: 1-844-896-2494 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
To report a potential incident of abuse of a person in a home for special care, call 1-800-225-7225.