Nova Scotia Provincial Parks
Nova Scotia's provincial park system provide access to some of the best opportunities to enjoy the rich natural and cultural heritage our province has to offer.
The Parks and Recreation Division is responsible for:
- Administering the Parks Act, the Trails Act and the Beaches Act.
- Planning for parks, trails, and outdoor recreational opportunities.
- Inventorying and evaluating outdoor recreational and heritage resources, for parks planning and input to integrated resource management (IRM) on Crown lands.
- Planning for trails on abandoned railways.
- Providing expertise for beach protection and related coastal zone management.
- Evaluating parkland acquisition options.
- Site planning, park development and project management and inspection either directly or in an advisory capacity to others.
- Coordinating the preparation of development and operating standards for parks.
- Negotiating partnerships for the development and operation of park system components.
- Procuring parks system facilities, equipment and services.
- Providing input on park operating seasons and fees.
- Liaising with the Department of Economic Development and Tourism and other departments on marketing of parks and outdoor recreation.
- Producing and distributing information regarding park programs, and the preparation of interpretive materials.