Water Shortage

Government is helping residents affected by the water shortage in southwestern Nova Scotia.

The Emergency Management Office has been working with municipalities for several weeks to make sure residents with dry wells have access to drinking water.

Help in your area

The following communities have issued statements about their current water shortage. For information on where to get a shower, finding drinking water and doing some laundry, please visit your local municipality’s website.

If you live in a different area and are experiencing water supply issues, please contact your local municipality so they can track the need.

Provincial Parks

Nova Scotians in need of potable water and showers will have access to designated provincial parks in the central and western regions of the province after the camping season ends. The department will keep those parks open up to and including Oct. 27 for water access only. Most provincial parks traditionally close after Thanksgiving.

The following provincial parks are available for public use (showers and potable water access) from Sundays to Thursdays, 10 a.m. to 8 p.m., free of charge:

  • Dollar Lake Provincial Park, Halifax Regional Municipality
  • Graves Island Provincial Park, Lunenburg Co.
  • Laurie Provincial Park, from 10 a.m. – 6 p.m., Halifax Regional Municipality
  • Porter’s Lake Provincial Park, Halifax Regional Municipality
  • Rissers Beach Provincial Park, Lunenburg Co.
  • The Islands Provincial Park, Shelburne Co.
  • Thomas Raddall Provincial Park, Queens Co.

These parks could be booked to full capacity by weekend campers so public access to water services can only begin on Sunday. People must check in at the park’s registration office.

The following provincial parks have potable water but no showers:

  • Rainbow Haven Beach (this park also has flushable toilets)
  • Oakfield Provincial Park
  • Valley View Provincial Park

Visit parks.novascotia.ca for more information.

Well and Drinking Water Safety

If your well has run dry, there are a few things you need to know to ensure you have safe drinking water. During the current water shortage, adding water to wells from other sources may not work.

Alternate Water Sources

  • Water from lakes, rivers, streams and other surface water sources, including natural and roadside springs, are not reliable, safe water supplies. These sources may be contaminated.
  • Any water used for filling cisterns should be from a municipal water supply or a registered public drinking water supply.

Safe Water Collection

During this current water shortage, everyone should do his/her part to conserve water and ensure their drinking water and water in general is safe.

  • Containers used should be suitable for the collection and storage of drinking water.
  • Containers should be cleaned and sanitized before using them to collect and store water.

The following is a method for cleaning and sanitizing your containers:

  1. Clean thoroughly using dish soap and warm water and rinse.
  2. Mix 1 teaspoon of household liquid bleach to 1 litre of water. Use bleach that does not have an added scent or fabric softener.
  3. Pour this solution into the cleaned storage container and shake well, making sure that the bleach solution coats the entire inside of the container.
  4. Let sit at least 30 seconds and then empty.
  5. Let the container air dry. The container should be kept covered and stored in a manner that keeps it clean and sanitized until it is used.

Help for farmers

Government has programs to help farmers who need advice on operations or who are facing losses due to damage to crop or livestock.

Crop and Livestock insurance

The Nova Scotia Crop and Livestock Insurance Commission is an insurance program that supports Nova Scotia’s farmers who may face crop or livestock losses. The program is funded through AgriInsurance with the federal government.

You need to be enrolled in AgriInsurance in order to qualify for coverage.

To learn more, including how to enroll and which crops and livestock qualify for coverage, contact the commission toll-free at 1-800-565-6371.

Advice for Farmers

The Department of Agriculture has regional staff who provide advice about programs and services, including how to access funding supports.

Access contact information on the website or call toll-free 1-800-279-0825 for the staff contact in your area.

More Information