Coronavirus (COVID-19): symptoms, testing and self-isolating
Symptoms, who can be tested and how to self-isolate.
Symptoms and testing
How to get tested
Nova Scotia Health Authority provides testing throughout the province – check COVID-19 testing requirements for when you need to get tested for COVID-19 and how to get tested.
How to self-isolate
Most people don’t need to self-isolate. However, self-isolating means staying at home and avoiding contact with other people to help prevent the spread of COVID-19. Public Health recommends that you self-isolate if you have COVID-19 symptoms or have tested positive for COVID-19.
To self-isolate, you should:
- stay home – don't go to work, school or other public places (you can use your deck, balcony or yard, but you need to avoid contact with other people)
- avoid contact with people you live with
- use a separate bedroom and bathroom, if you can
- if you need to share a space (like a bedroom or bathroom), disinfect surfaces that were touched
- avoid elevators or stairwells if you live in an apartment building, condo or hotel (stay inside your unit if you can)
- wear a mask in common areas if you’re self-isolating in an apartment building, condo or hotel and need to leave the property for outdoor exercise, necessary healthcare or getting tested for COVID-19
- avoid leaving your property, apartment building, condo or hotel except for outdoor exercise within walking or running distance of where you’re self-isolating – you shold keep a physical distance of 2 metres (6 feet) from others (or wear a mask)
- take and record your temperature daily
- have groceries and other supplies delivered
- avoid anyone with chronic conditions or a compromised immune system and older adults
- avoid having visitors to your home or where you’re self-isolating
- avoid taking public transportation
- book a COVID-19 test if you’re experiencing COVID-19 symptoms; you can call 811 if you’re unable to book a test online (or to speak with a nurse)
- follow hand washing guidelines, cough and sneeze guidelines and cleaning and disinfecting guidelines