Woodland Owner of the Year
Honouring Outstanding Stewardship on Private Woodlands
The Nova Scotia Woodland Owner of the Year Award recognizes and rewards landowners for outstanding stewardship of their woodlands.
The Nova Scotia Woodland Owner of the Year Award recognizes and rewards landowners for outstanding stewardship of their woodlands. The award was developed to encourage woodlot owners to practice sustainable woodland management and to increase public awareness of the importance of private woodlands in Nova Scotia and good woodland management.
Woodland owners are evaluated on their effort and commitment to:
- setting and meeting sustainable goals for their land
- improving their knowledge or understanding of their forest land or the forest in general
- improving the condition of, access to and health of their woodland
- using integrated resource management, with an emphasis on wood production
- considering values such as wildlife habitat protection and recreation
Nova Scotia residents who own between 20 and 2,000 hectares (50 and 5,000 acres) of woodland in the province are eligible. The goal of the award is to:
- recognize and reward landowners for outstanding stewardship of their woodlots
- encourage woodlot owners to practise sustainable woodlot management
- increase public awareness of the importance of private woodlots in Nova Scotia and good woodlot management
View Woodland Owners of the Year 2023