Atlantic Fisheries Fund
The Atlantic Fisheries Fund supports innovation in the fish and seafood sector. It helps the sector meet growing market demands for sustainably sourced, high-quality fish and seafood.
The Atlantic Fisheries Fund is a cost-shared partnership between Fisheries and Oceans Canada and the Atlantic provinces.
If you have an idea for an innovative project in the fish or seafood sector in Nova Scotia, contact the Nova Scotia Department of Fisheries and Aquaculture for help developing your proposal.
Areas of focus
The Atlantic Fisheries Fund focuses on 3 areas:
- innovation - developing new products and technologies in the harvesting, aquaculture and processing sectors
- infrastructure - using new technologies or processes to improve sustainability
- science partnerships - collaborating with universities and other research institutions to improve our knowledge and understanding
The fund aims to help Nova Scotia's fish and seafood sector achieve greater success by supporting market entry and growth, economic development, and supporting coastal communities.
Benefits to the Nova Scotian fisheries and aquaculture sector and businesses include:
- better quality product available for markets
- long-term sustainability of resources and businesses
- addressing labour shortages by improving processes and technologies
- incorporating processes and technologies to maintain existing customers, gain new ones and reach increasing market demands
- increased value of fish and seafood products
- improved competitiveness in global markets
The Atlantic Fisheries Fund has previously supported Nova Scotian projects including:
- investments in live product storage
- new and innovative fishing technologies
- product grading, processing and packaging equipment
- traceability and condition monitoring software
What to do
If you have an idea and want to apply for funding:
- Review the eligibility information to make sure you're eligible to apply.
- Contact the Department of Fisheries and Aquaculture:
We'll give you more information about the fund and offer guidance to help you develop your project concept.
- Submit your project concept for feedback. We'll review it and provide our feedback.
- If you agree, we'll share your concept with our counterparts at the federal government for review and feedback. If they also like what they see, you'll be encouraged to submit a full application .