Higher Education contributes to lifelong learning by providing funding, services, and support to post-secondary institutions to maintain access to high quality post-secondary education and training.
The Higher Education Branch supports the development of a highly qualified workforce to meet labour market demand as well as the cultivation of knowledgeable, engaged citizens.
The functions of Higher Education are as follows:
- provide funding and support to universities and the Nova Scotia Community College (NSCC)
- advise the Minister on all matters relating to universities and the NSCC and post-secondary education issues at the provincial, regional and national level
- support the post-secondary education institutions in the development of people, knowledge, entrepreneurial activity, and innovation
- coordinate federal-provincial and interprovincial negotiations related to post-secondary education, such as student loan policy
- administer the Canada and Nova Scotia Student Assistance programs, including management and stewardship of the Nova Scotia student loan portfolio
- assist adult Nova Scotians with permanent disabilities obtain access to, and to succeed in, post-secondary training
- guide universities and the NSCC in the delivery of disability services through research and policy development
- advise the Minister on matters relating to training at private career colleges and develop related policy