Single copies of publications noted FREE are available free of charge by writing to:
Dept. of Lands and Forestry
P.O. Box 698, Halifax, N.S. B3J 2T9
or by visiting your local office of the Department of Lands and Forestry.
- NEW! Mapping Nova Scotia's Natural Disturbance Regimes (Electronic copy released 2011)
- NEW! Forest Ecosystem Classification for Nova Scotia Part I: Vegetation Types (2010)
- NEW! Forest Ecosystem Classification for Nova Scotia Part II: Soil Types (2010)
- NEW! Forest Ecosystem Classification for Nova Scotia Part III: Ecosites (2010)
- Modelled Potential Species Distribution for Current and Projected Future Climates for the Acadian Forest Region of Nova Scotia (January 2010)
In 2007 research was undertaken into potential impacts of climate change on forest site conditions that influence tree species distributions in Nova Scotia. The Research was lead by University of New Brunswick professor, Dr. Charles Bourque. Using growing degree days and soil water content in combination with a 'middle-of-the-road' climate change scenario (ISA92a), twelve native species were assessed for changes to their potential distribution, projected in 30-year time slices to the year 2100.
- Implementing Ecosystem-based Integrated Resource Manangement in Nova Scotia
A systematic approach to ecosystem based intergrated resource management has evolved to include ecological planning tools, forest modelling, policy, and regulations.
The two files listed above are the Nova Scotia pages of a larger Lands and Forestry of Canada document: Implementing Ecosystem-based Management Approaches in Canada's Forests. English version or French version.
- A Procedural Guide for Ecological Landscape Analysis (February 2008)
An ecosystem based approach to landscape level planning in Nova Scotia.
- State of the Forest Report (April 2008)
A comprehensive look at Nova Scotia's forests in the first ever report of this type.
- Nova Scotia's Code of Forest Practice
A framework for the implementation of Sustainable Forest Management.
- Forestry Field Handbook
This handbook includes site specific softwood and hardwood silviculture keys together with graphs and tables needed to estimate present and future stand characteristics.
- Nova Scotia Forest Industry Joint Task Force Recommendations and Provincial Response
An action plan, based on recommendations from industry and government, will be implemented to continue supporting the forestry industry as it deals with changes in global market conditions.
- Photo Interpretation Specifications
This document describes the specifications for the stereoscopic interpretation of true colour aerial photography used by the Forestry Division of DNR.
- Forestkeeping, 171 pages.
Dr. Wilfred Creighton, former Lands and Deputy Minister, tells the story of the department to his retirement in 1969, illustrated. Cost is $9.95
- Towards Sustainable Forestry: A Position Paper, 41 pages.
Outlines several forest management related issues and contains recommendations to address the immediate and longer term concerns. Illustrated.
- Review and Recommendations of the Valuation, Allocation and Sale of Crown Timber Resources in Nova Scotia (AGFOR Inc. Review) Report FOR 2000-5
- Forest Type Maps, scale 1:10 000 (describe species, height & density of the forest stands of Nova Scotia). Cost is $3.26.