Landed Immigrants & Paperclips

Protected Persons


Information for Landed Immigrants


  • To be eligible to apply, you must have Landed Immigrant status before the first day of the month in which your classes begin. If you receive Landed Immigrant status after this date, you will not be eligible to apply until the next semester.
  • You must submit a photocopy of your Permanent Resident Card if this is your first time applying to Nova Scotia for student assistance.
  • Landed Immigrant students establish their student category and province of residence the same way as all other students.
  • If you are an independent, married or single parent student and you do not meet the residency criteria, you must apply for assistance from the province in which you will be studying. If you are studying outside Canada, you apply to the province where you landed.
  • If you are sponsored by:
    • Parent: Your parent will be assessed a parental contribution as the parent of a single dependent student.
    • Spouse: Your spouse will be assessed a spousal contribution.
    • Organization: The organization will not be assessed a contribution. However, you must declare as part of your resources any support you get from the organization.

Information for Protected Persons

  • Protected Persons are eligible for student assistance.
  • Before you Apply, you will need:
    • Your Notice of Decision document (not the Reason of Decision) OR the Verification of Status Document. If you have questions about these documents, please contact Citizenship and Immigration Canada at 1-888-242-2100 or visit
    • You'll need a copy of your Social Insurance Number (SIN) Card showing a 900 series SIN that will remain valid for your entire study period. If you don't have a SIN card, or have one that will expire while you are in school, contact the Social Insurance Number program by calling 1-800-206-7218 or visit