Income Tax & Students


The money you spend for school can add up to some valuable income tax deductions for you. Keep reading for links to Tax Tips for Students and to be sure you're taking advantage of all the benefits available to you.

First, here are some of the most common questions we get about Nova Scotia T4A's, Government of Canada T4A's, and the T2202A.


What is a T4A and where can I find it?

Nova Scotia Student Grant: The Nova Scotia Student Assistance Office issues T4A’s to students who received Nova Scotia Student Grant (NSSG) provincial funding during the previous calendar year. As of the 2020 tax year, your T4A can be downloaded from MyPATH. In all previous years, your T4A was issued by mail. These T4A amounts are entered into your income tax return as income. If you did NOT receive a T4A from us, and believe you should have one, please get in touch. Log in to MyPATH in desktop view, and "Ask Us a Question."

Students with Disabilities: T4As for grants received from Post Secondary Accessibility Services (PSAS) will be issued by mail, by the end of February, from the Province of Nova Scotia.

Canada Study Grant: T4As for grants received from the Canada Student Financial Assistance Program are available for download from the National Student Loans Service Centre online services portal. If you didn't get a T4A for your Canada Study Grant(s) (CSG) federal funding, and believe you should have, call the National Student Loan Service Centre: The call is Toll Free in North America: 1-800-815-4514.

My T4A only covers my Fall term. What about the T4A for grant amounts I received during the Winter term?

T4A's are issued by calendar year, not academic year. Early each year you’ll receive a T4A for each kind of non-repayable grant funding you received during the previous calendar year.

Why did I also receive a T2202A from my school?

The T2202A is proof of any tuition you paid and your education amounts for any months you were a full-time or part-time student last year. These are valuable income tax credits for you and can be “carried forward” until a future year when you have higher taxable income. Canada Revenue Agency has tips on how best to use these to your advantage.

Why did I get receipts for interest I paid on my student loans?

The interest you pay each year on student loans can be valuable income tax credits. Canada Revenue Agency has tips on how best to use these to your advantage.