Student Assistance for Part-Time studies
Loans and Grants from the Canada Student Loans Program
The federal government provides Student Assistance in the form of loans and grants to help part-time students from Nova Scotia access post-secondary education. This program has recently been enhanced to make studying while working more accessible than ever. Click here to view more information of particular interest to mature students.
- As of January 1, 2012, the Government pays the interest on part-time student loans while in-study.
- The income eligibility thresholds for part-time student loans and grants have been increased so more Canadians can attend college, university or trade school while working.
- The maximum total amount of part-time loans has increased from $4,000 to $10,000.
- There are Canada Student Grants available for part-time students.
- Part-time loans and grants can now be used to study outside Canada.
- Part-time students who have difficulty repaying their student loan can now apply for the Repayment Assistance Plan.
What’s available to me?
- You can borrow up to $10,000 in student loans from the Government of Canada.
- Canada Student Grants for Part-Time Students:
- The Grant for Part-Time Studies offers $1,800 per year for students from low-income families.
- The Grant for Part-time Students with Dependants offers $40 per week of studies if you have one or two children under 12 years of age and $60 per week of studies if you have three or more children under 12 years of age.
How do I apply?
For more information on part-time funding, click the links shown above. If you would like to apply for part-time funding click here to download the application.