Intimate Partner Violence

If you are in immediate danger, please call 911.

If you are a woman, or her children, experiencing violence and abuse, contact a shelter near you for crisis support or emergency shelter.

If you are a man who has been abusive and would like help to stop the violence, please contact your nearest Men's Intervention Program.

If you have experienced sexual violence, the Avalon Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE) can provide immediate care and/or a forensic examination.

If you are a child or teenager, and need to contact Kids Help Phone, please call 1-800-668-6868, or visit

If you are a tenant facing domestic violence, you can end year-to-year or fixed-term leases early without financial penalty.

If you are a man or woman who needs crisis services, please contact the Helpline at 421-1188 (Halifax area) or 1-877-521-1188.

A copy of our brochure, Do You Need a Safety Plan? Guidelines for Persons in Abusive Relationships is available here. For a resource guide to help you develop a personalized safety plan, please download our brochure Personalized Safety Plan Guidelines for Persons in Abusive Relationships.

Emergency Protection Orders

For information about an Emergency Protection Order click here. To apply for an Emergency Protection Order, please call 1-866-816-6555 or contact your nearest transition house or police services.