Co-operative Education Students

Pie ChartMany Co-operative Education students who attend a Nova Scotia school are now eligible for Student Assistance funding while they are on a co-op work term. Co-op students can now also maintain their interest-free, payment-free status while they are on a work term.

As a co-op student, you are alternating work-terms and study-terms. This means that your expenses are likely changing term-by-term. For some work terms, you may
not need Student Assistance funding at all.

To make Student Assistance work for you, after Year One of your program you should apply term-by-term. This means that after Year One (i.e. after you've completed two study-terms):

  • You must apply for student assistance each term, for only that term.
  • Once you’ve been assessed each term, you must also submit a pre-study report at the start of each of these terms.
  • Your application cycle is much shorter (every term) so you should be very careful to monitor your application and meet these shorter deadlines.

For tips and examples of how this could look for you, download our Co-Op Student fact sheet.