Out-of-Province Travel and Accommodation Assistance Policy

Nova Scotians who are approved to travel out of province for insured medical care that is not available here are now eligible for some assistance thanks to the province's travel and accommodations assistance policy, effective April 1, 2010.

Effective June 1st, 2011 transportation cost for an escort to travel with the patient will be covered if medically required, or the patient is under 19 years of age.

Patients will need to have their specialist seek approval from MSI for the treatment. It needs to be a medically insured treatment and it has to be a service that is not available in Nova Scotia.

Insured services are generally those determined by experts to have proven medical benefits for patients. This does not include cosmetic procedures, procedures still being researched, or drug therapy.

How much assistance is available?

  • The policy provides a maximum of $1,000.00 CDN in travel assistance (round trip) and $125.00 CDN per night up to $1,500.00 CDN per month in accommodation assistance. This provides assistance for short term stays. If a longer term stay is anticipated, patients are encouraged to seek longer term accommodations, such as apartment rental.

How do I know if I'm eligible?

  • To get assistance, your specialist must send a letter to MSI explaining why you need this treatment. MSI will review it and inform your specialist if you are eligible for coverage. Your specialist will then arrange for a referral for you to receive treatment out of province. Your specialist must confirm in writing that an escort is medically required.

How do I apply for assistance?

  • If you are eligible for coverage from MSI you will receive information from the Department of Health and Wellness which will include an application form. Keep all receipts including any boarding passes and submit them to the Department of Health and Wellness after you have made your trip and received the health-care service.

If you have more questions

  • If you have questions about the policy, you can call 1-877-449-5476 (toll free) or 902-424-7538 Monday to Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. (except holidays).

Form and Information