Out-of-Province Travel and Accommodation Assistance Policy
Nova Scotians who are approved to travel out of province for medical care are eligible for some financial support under the province's travel and accommodation assistance policy.
Patients will need to have their specialist seek approval from MSI. It needs to be a medically insured treatment and it has to be a service that is not available in Nova Scotia.
Insured services are generally those determined by experts to have proven medical benefits for patients. This does not include cosmetic procedures, procedures still being researched, or drug therapy.
How much assistance is available?
- The policy provides a maximum of $1,000 CDN in travel assistance (round trip) and $125 CDN per night up to $1,500 CDN per month for short-term accommodations of less than one month.
- If a longer-term stay is required, assistance of up to $2,500 CDN per month is available for those who need to relocate for longer than one month.
- Transportation costs of up to $1,000 CDN (round trip) for an escort to travel with the patient will also be covered if required, or if the patient is under 19 years of age.
How do I know if I'm eligible?
- To get assistance, your specialist must send a letter to MSI explaining why you need this treatment. MSI will review it and inform your specialist if you are eligible for coverage. Your specialist will then arrange for a referral for you to receive treatment out of province. Your specialist must confirm in writing that an escort is medically required.
How do I apply for assistance?
- If you are eligible for coverage from MSI you will receive information from the Department of Health and Wellness which will include an application form. Keep all receipts including any boarding passes and submit them to the Department of Health and Wellness after you have made your trip and received the health-care service.
If you have more questions
- If you have questions about the policy, you can call 1-877-449-5476 (toll free) or 902-424-7538 Monday to Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. (except holidays).
Form and Information