Personal Alert Service

Continuing Care

Personal Alert Service

The Personal Alert Assistance Program provides financial assistance to eligible, low-income seniors over the age of 65, and to Nova Scotians age 19 years or
older living with an acquired brain injury.

The program provides up to $480/year to reimburse for the purchase of a personal alert assistance service.

To receive funding for personal alert services, you must:

  • Be 65 years or older. Or 19 years or older with an acquired brain injury.
  • Be a Nova Scotia resident with valid Health Card.
  • Live alone and have an annual net income of less than $30,797.
  • Have a history of recent falls.
  • Use a cane, wheelchair or walker.
  • Have a requirement for Home Care Service that will extend beyond 90 days.
  • Sign an agreement with the Department of Health and Wellness.

How do I know what my net income is?

Your net income is the income identified on line 236 of the Federal Income Tax Return or in the Notice of Assessment provided by Canada Revenue Agency. Continuing Care staff will work with you determine your net income.

How do I choose a personal alert provider?

There are many companies that provide a personal alert service, including those listed in the Department of Seniors’ Programs for Positive Aging.

How do I get reimbursed for the expenses?

You can submit your receipts for reimbursement monthly, quarterly or annually to your Nova Scotia Health Authority.

How do I apply for the program?

Apply by calling Continuing Care, toll-free, at 1-800-225-7225.

Will I have to report this funding as income on my income tax return?

You should not have to report this funding as income on your income tax return because it is less than $500/year. Since everyone’s situation is different, please contact Canada Revenue Agency by calling 1-800-959-8281 to confirm

Policies and Standards

The  Department of Health and Wellness, Continuing Care Division has created  policies and monitoring standards to ensure that there is a consistent quality  of care for those who need services outside of the hospital, in  their home, or in the community.

Visit Policies and Standards page.